I do it to increase willpower, enter ketosis (to reduce risk of cancer), and for life extension.
1. Willpower. Fasting is another one of those things that seems so hard if you’ve never done it. Then after doing it “Oh, that wasn’t so bad”. It continues to build that part of my brain that looks for challenges instead of avoiding them. A relatively well sourced overview: https://benjaminhardy.com/the-number-one-secret-to-superhu…/
2. Ketosis. Ketosis is the state of your body when you are burning fat instead of carbohydrates. This state happens naturally after not eating for a while or when consuming a high fat diet. There is preliminary research that shows it may reduce the risk of cancer, diabetes, and Alzheimer. http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/
3. Life extension. Intermittent fasting has been shown to increase lifespan in rats. It is the most promising area of life extension research. http://fourhourworkweek.com/…/postponing-death-caloric-res…/
The way I fast:
1. 2-3 times a week I will exercise at 7am and not eat until 1pm.
2. About once a month I’ll do a full day with no food.
^Day 77/90 182 words